Yield: 4 servings
* Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
* 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
* 1 cup slivered almonds
* 1 cup baby amaretti cookies (about 2 ounces)
* 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
* 4 large eggs
* Unsweetened cocoa powder, for sifting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9-inch springform pan the nonstick spray. Refrigerate.
Microwave the chocolate until melted and smooth, stirring every 20
seconds, for about 1 minute.
Combine the almonds and cookies in processor. Pulse until the almonds
and cookies are finely ground. Transfer the nut mixture to a medium
bowl. Add the butter and sugar to the processor and blend until creamy
and smooth. Add the grated orange peel and pulse briefly, until
incorporated. Add the eggs 1 at a time. Blend until the eggs are
incorporated. Clean the sides of the mixing bowl and blend again. Add
the nut mixture and melted chocolate. Pulse until blended. Clean the
sides of the bowl. Blend again.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the center puffs and
a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about
35 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes.
Transfer the cake to a platter. Sift the cocoa powder over and serve.