Yield: 4 servings
* 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
* 1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
* 2 scallions, sliced on bias
* 4 slices good-quality center cut bacon
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 cup chicken stock
* 1/2 cup half-and-half or cream
* 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
* Special equipment: toothpicks
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Butterfly the chicken breast pieces by cutting across the breast but
not all the way through. Open the breasts up and pound lightly between
parchment paper. Peel paper away and season the meat with salt and
Cover the seasoned chicken cutlets with blue cheese crumbles, pecans
and scallions in equal amounts. Roll the chicken, wrap each roll with
bacon and secure with toothpicks. Season the outside of the rolls with
salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken
evenly all over, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a small
baking sheet, place in the oven and cook 10 minutes more.
Melt the butter in the same skillet pan the chicken was seared in over
medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in stock. Let
thicken a minute then whisk in the half-and-half and grain mustard,
season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to warm.
Halve the chicken and stack to show off the center. Set chicken in
gravy or pour over top. Serve with rice and greens, if desired.