Yield: 4 to 6 servings
* 1 medium green apple, cored and diced into 1-inch cubes
* 1 medium red apple, cored and diced into 1-inch cubes
* 1 medium onion, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons cubed
* 1/4 cup dry white wine
* 1 (6-ounce) bag dried cranberries
* 1/2 tablespoon salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, meat removed from casing
* 8 ounce jar steamed whole chestnuts, roughly chopped
* 1/2 pound day old cornbread or bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
* Pinch red pepper flakes
* 1 cup canned chicken stock
* 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium saute pan add the apples, onion, 1 tablespoon oil and
butter cook over a medium low heat for 10 minutes to soften. Add the
wine, cranberries, and salt and pepper, simmer for about 5 minutes.
Take off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil
and turkey sausage meat and break up with a wooden spoon and cook
until browned and cooked through, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl toss together the fruit and onion mixture, the
sausage, the chestnuts, the cornbread and red pepper flakes. Combine
all the ingredients.
Add the chicken stock, and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Gently place into
an 8 1/2 by 8 1/2- inch glass Pyrex baking dish and top with the
remaining Parmesan. Dot with butter. Place in middle rack and bake
until top is golden brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour.